W2K logon problem after joining a domain

Thierry Delaitre delaitt at cpc.wmin.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 14:41:03 GMT 2001

Hi,

I think I found the problem. It seems that users cannot login when they
have complex passwords which include uppercase characters. It works ok
with lowercase passwords. Is there a remedy to this problem ? Note that
I'm already using password level = 4

Cheers,

Thierry.

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Thierry Delaitre wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've configured samba-2.2.2 as an NT PDC and successfuly joined a W2K box.
> However, I cannot login to the W2K box using the Samba domain name. I get
> the following error messages in log.smb:
>
> [2001/12/11 22:19:00, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog.c:api_net_sam_logon(208)
>   api_net_sam_logon: Failed to marshall NET_R_SAM_LOGON.
> [2001/12/11 22:19:00, 0] rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:api_rpcTNP(1204)
>   api_rpcTNP: api_netlog_rpc: NET_SAMLOGON failed.
> [2001/12/11 22:24:12, 1] smbd/server.c:main(689)
>   smbd version 2.2.2 started.
>   Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1992-1998
>
> Also, I don't know why but I cannot mount a shared area provided by
> samba-2.2.2 and the strange things is that it works ok when I use
> smbclient "\\server\sharename" -U username
>
> I've put a copy of the smb.conf file that i's using.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thierry.
>
> [globals]
> username level = 5
>   smb passwd file = /tmp/etc/private/smbpasswd
>   workgroup = CPCNEW
>   server string = Samba Server - Thierry Delaitre
>   browseable = yes
>   status = yes
>   password level = 4
>   netbios aliases = SNAIL2 SNAIL3 SNAIL4 SNAIL5 SNAIL6
>   security = user
>   encrypt passwords = yes
>   domain logons = yes
>   logon drive = h:
>   logon script = %a.bat
>   preserve case = yes
>   lpq cache time = 30
>   time server = true
>   wins support = no
>   wins server = 161.74.92.102
>   domain master = yes
>   local master = yes
>   preferred master = yes
>   os level = 65
>   map to guest = Bad User
>   domain admin group = @adm
>
> [homes]
>   comment = CPC home directories
>   writable = yes
>   hide dot files = yes
>
> [netlogon]
>   path = /opt/samba/netlogon/%G
>   writeable = yes
>   guest ok = no
>   locking = no

Dr Thierry DELAITRE
Systems and Services Manager, CSCS
University of Westminster
115 New Cavendish Street, London W1W 6UW

Tel: 020 7911 5000 ext: 3586
Fax: 020 7911 5089
Mobile short dial code 1788

http://www.cscs.wmin.ac.uk/~delaitt

This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above named only
and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you must
not copy or show them to anyone, nor should you take any action based
on them, other than to notify the error by replying to the sender.