"File being modified" Win2000

David Moruzzi david.moruzzi at babcockbrown.com
Tue Dec 11 13:54:09 GMT 2001

I have been working with Samba 2.2.0 and have hit a major problem when users
accessing files from the server.

A 'FILE RESERVATION' warning pops---in Windows 2000--up with an error saying
that the "File.xyz is being modified by USER---where user is the last person
to have opened the file.

I have tried turning of oplocks and kernel locks in the Global section of
the smd.conf:

[global]
        client code page = 437
        workgroup = XYZ
        server string = San Francisco File Server
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = sfprinters, nyprinters
        passwd program = /usr/bin/yppasswd %u
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        local master = No
        wins server = xx.xx.xx.xx
        kernel oplocks = No
        create mask = 0666
        directory mask = 0777
        oplocks = No

This does not seems to work. Also I have been unable to get the log file to
use the %m variable and create a separate file for each client. Are these
bugs of 2.2.0. I have stop and started the smbd service several times.

I have found a few postings on the web about this, but no answers.

Thanx for your help

This email message may contain information that is confidential and
proprietary to Babcock & Brown or a third party.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy the original and
any copies of the original message.  Babcock & Brown takes measures to
protect the content of its communications.  However, Babcock & Brown cannot
guarantee that email messages will not be intercepted by third parties or
that email messages will be free of errors or viruses.