viewing Shares on Windows 2000

Andre Liem Andre.Liem at redknee.com
Tue Dec 11 06:48:19 GMT 2001

I've been at this for about 3 days now.  Banging my head against the wall
for 2.

I am running samba 2.2.2 under Redhat 7.2.  I am having a minor problem
using net view and net use with my samba share. I've been at this all day,
and can't help feeling I've overlooked something incredibly stupid. I've run
through the DIAGNOSIS.TXT and I'm able to pass tests 1 - 7.

Krusty has also been added to the Simpsons NT domain, which uses Win2000.
We use DHCP for all of our network needs, so we don't have a WINS server and
DNS seems to resolve everything.  I've also tried importing the LMHOSTS file
and checked the resolve order without success.

When I do a "net view", I get:
..<other netbios names>...
\\KEVIN
\\KRUSTY	samba 2.2.2 on (krusty)
...etc

But when I perform a net use x: \\krusty or \\krusty\test.  I get the usual
network path not found.

I wasn't able to set clear text passwords either:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters\ doesn't
seem to exist.

My testparm:
Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
INFO: Debug class all level = 1   (pid 27268 from pid 27268)
Loaded services file OK.
# Global parameters
[global]
    coding system =
    client code page = 850
    code page directory = /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages
    workgroup = SIMPSONS
    netbios name =
    netbios aliases =
    netbios scope =
    server string = krusty: samba %v on (%L)
    interfaces =
    bind interfaces only = No
    security = USER
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    update encrypted = No
    allow trusted domains = Yes
    password server =
    smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
    root directory =
    pam password change = No
    passwd program = /bin/passwd
    passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *changed*
    passwd chat debug = No
   < SNIP >
   dns proxy = Yes
    wins proxy = No