Joining a Windows 2000 Domain in an OU other than the top level

Auleta, Michael michael.auleta at boeing.com
Mon Dec 10 06:42:09 GMT 2001

Due to restrictions set up in our Windows 2000 domain, I've been having
trouble adding a Samba server to the domain.  I've had a domain
administrator add the server into an OU that we do have access to, and my
Windows account has been enabled to add nodes to that OU.  When I execute
"smbpasswd -j DOM -r PDC -U myid%mypasswd", I get the traditional:

smbpasswd -j DOMAIN/OU/SUBOU -r PDC -D 4 -U myid
added interface ip=###.###.25.36 bcast=###.###.25.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name PDC<0x20>
getlmhostsent: lmhost entry: ###.###.22.14 PDC
Connecting to ###.###.22.14 at port 139
session setup ok
Domain=[DOMAIN] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
Unable to join domain DOMAIN.

The same thing happens whether I try to add it to just DOMAIN or
DOMAIN/OU/SUBOU.  I'm trying to set this up using Samba 2.2.2 under Solaris
8.  I was successfully able to add it to both an NT domain as well as a test
Windows 2000 domain in the top level OU.  I deleted the MACHINE.SID and
secrets.tdb files in between each attempt.

Mike