Windows 2k and Samba PDC

Mitchell mjs at blitz-technology.net
Thu Dec 6 01:00:12 GMT 2001

This is more a Windows 2k problem than a Samba one.

I have set up my samba server as a PDC for  ur Win 2k network.

I have a workstation called lift which I have added as follows

useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -s /bin/false -c "lift" lift$

passwd -l lift$

smbpasswd -a -m lift

I then went to that  workstation and joined it to the domain using user root password xxxxxx

it said it joined and would I like to add a user which had access to network services.  I answered "don't add a user at this
time" and it finished the network setup wizard.

I then logged out of the administrator account and tried to log back in as user mjs

user mjs exists as a system user as well as in the smbpassword file.

it bumped me off with an invalid user/password warning.

it is as if it isn't authenticating users against the PDC.

Is there anything else under windows 2k that I have to change to get it to authenticate users out of the PDC?

I assume that I don't have to add *all* users to each workstation.

Any assistance here would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks