Samba 2.2.2 --with-ldapsam configure error

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Sat Dec 1 12:56:02 GMT 2001

"Erik Persson wrote:"

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Philip Burrow wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I've been attempting to configure samba 2.2.2 with LDAP and it simply wont
> > configure (configures fine without). I have read here that samba 2.2.2's
> > LDAP support is "broken" so I assume this is the problem. The only argument
> > to configure I am using is --with-ldapsam and I get this at the end of
> > configure:
> >
> > checking configure summary
> > configure: error: summary failure. Aborting config
> >
> > and in config.log:
> >
> > configure: failed program was:
> > #line 12521 "configure"
> > #include "confdefs.h"
> > #include "./tests/summary.c"
> >
> > I have also read there are patches but I can't find anywhere where I can get
> > them. I have checked www.samba.org and the recent posts in this list (as I
> > am a relatively new subscriber) to no avail.

You would need to extract the patches from cvs at:
    http://samba.org/samba/cvs.html

You can read about how to use the web interface to cvs and the branch
tagging.

> > Does anyone have any info?
>
> It would help if you also included the lines from the log that holds the
> actual compiler, preprocessor or linker error. Anyway, I have been
> tinkering around with LDAP support in Samba 2.2.2 over the last few days,
> and have gotten similar failures due to the fact that the LDAP support
> relies on the OpenLDAP libraries which in turn depends on the OpenLDAP
> libraries if you have TLS/SSL support in OpenLDAP. The latter aren't
> explicitly linked into OpenLDAP which means that whoever wants to link
> with OpenLDAP also needs to link with OpenSSL.
>
> Check the log file. If there is a bunch of symbol referencing errors that
> look like SSL stuff you need to add 'LIBS="-lssl -lcrypto"' to your
> configure command and possibly also the OpenSSL library/include locations
> to LDFLAGS/CPPFLAGS.

It is a peach to build as it needs ssl and a database which configure
does not search for or do they provide options for specifying where you
have installed them. Here is a wrapper script I created for configure.
Paths will need to be changed for your installation:
    #! /bin/sh

    CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl -I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/include"
    LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/lib -R/usr/local/ssl/lib -R/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/lib"

    export CPPFLAGS
    export LDFLAGS

    exec ./configure

--

Regards,

David Highley		      Phone: (206) 669-0081
Highley Recommended, Inc.	FAX: (253) 838-8509
2927 SW 339th Street	      Email: dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Federal Way, WA 98023-7732	WEB: http://www.highley-recommended.com