problem saving roaming profile

Oliver Heering Heering at edo.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Apr 30 14:29:11 GMT 2001

Hi Ron,

On Wednesday, April 25, 2001 you wrote:

> Running Samba 2.2.0 as a PDC with a W2K client, I encountered an error
> message when logging out that indicated improper permissions to save
> part of the roaming profile.  Most profile information was saved,
> however.

I encountered the same problem here. I experimented a bit with the
smb.conf file and found out that the permissions were set correctly
when i turned off the "nt acl support".
Then i read some posts in this mailinglist where ppl talk about
enabling ACL-support in their linux kernels. As i have an unpatched
kernel and NO such ACL-support in it, i wonder if it has something to
do with my problem.

To be specific:
The missing rights on the user-profiles are some execute-bits for the
user i.e. some directories that are being created when the user logs
off the first time will just have unix permissions "0600" instead of
"0700" (even when using the "force directory mode 0700" option).
I repeat, only SOME directories are treated like this, not all!

...a directory listing of my user-profile follows (german):

drw-------   4 slop     users          86 Apr 30 16:16 Anwendungsdaten
drwx------   2 slop     users          35 Apr 30 16:16 Cookies
drw-------   2 slop     users          35 Apr 30 16:16 Desktop
drw-------   2 slop     users          35 Apr 30 16:16 Druckumgebung
drw-------   3 slop     users          64 Apr 30 16:16 Eigene Dateien
drwx------   4 slop     users          77 Apr 30 16:16 Favoriten
drw-------   4 slop     users          98 Apr 30 16:16 Local Settings
-rw-------   1 slop     users      184320 Apr 30 16:16 NTUSER.DAT
-rw-------   1 slop     users        1024 Apr 30 16:16 NTUSER.DAT.LOG
drw-------   2 slop     users          35 Apr 30 16:16 Netzwerkumgebung
drwx------   2 slop     users          35 Apr 30 16:16 Recent
drw-------   2 slop     users          35 Apr 30 16:16 SendTo
drw-------   3 slop     users          60 Apr 30 16:16 Startmen?
drw-------   2 slop     users          35 Apr 30 16:16 Vorlagen
-rw-------   1 slop     users          20 Apr 30 16:15 ntuser.ini

You notice the directories "Recent", "Favoriten" and "Cookies" which
have actually correct permissions set. All the other directories got
messed up.

Does anyone have any idea what to do?

mfg,
Oliver Heering