More on locking -- WAS: SMBD's go into "D" (uninteruptable sleep) and never wake up

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Apr 29 13:06:15 GMT 2001

"Bryan J. Smith" wrote:
> Okay, since I got you here, I saw the new Samba 2.2 has "on-par"
> locking between Irix and Linux 2.4.  Very good and I'm playing with
> both now.
>
> But in prior versions, it seemed that Solaris supported kernel-level
> oplocks (level 1) whereas Linux (or FreeBSD or Irix) did not?
> Please correct me if I am wrong (or talking about an even prior
> version).

Samba 2.0.7 smb.conf:

   kernel oplocks (G)
        For UNIXs that support kernel based oplocks (cur-
        rently only IRIX but hopefully also Linux and
        FreeBSD soon) this parameter allows the use of them
        to be turned on or off.

Samba 2.2.0 smb.conf:

   kernel oplocks (G)
	For UNIXes that support kernel based oplocks  (cur-
        rently  only  IRIX  and the Linux 2.4 kernel), this
        parameter allows the use of them to be turned on or
        off.

I must be either greatly mistaken or it is enabled on my Solaris 2.6
boxes.  And yes, it did set the #undef line automatically in
"acconfig.h" but I did some testing and manually enabled it (removed
the line from the file).  I've had 0 issues with Jet/Access dbs on a
Samba partition.

Hmmm, maybe I should look at the logs closer to see if it is really
using it.

-- TheBS

P.S.  I've heard of others being able to enable them on Solaris by
removing the #undef line.

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith         chat:thebs413 @AOL/MSN/Yahoo
Engineer                       mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org