SMBD's go into "D" (uninteruptable sleep) and never wake up

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Sat Apr 28 22:54:44 GMT 2001

Don't know if this is the case but kernel 2.4.3 has been reported to be able to eat ext2 file systems under heavy load, it seem that samba is blocked on a system call (only reason I know a process can't be killed), try upgrading your kernel to 2.4.4 or downgrade to a more stable and proven 2.2.x code base and see if this happens again.

--
Simo Sorce