Accessing NT shared directory from win98 - Samba

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Apr 26 14:27:48 GMT 2001

Hi Roy,
Some more information needed:
If I read you right,  you are trying to access a share on an NT workstation
from a win98 pc.  You mention they are both in the SAMBA domain - does this
mean to you that the win98 pc is set up to login to the samba domain, and
the NT Workstation actually has a machine account on the Samba PDC for the
domain?  If this IS the case, do the following test:
have the win98 pc that is having the problem attach to a share on the SAMBA
server that is the pdc for the domain. use smbstatus to verify that the
win98 pc is actually attaching AS the user you expect, and not as some guest
user.
Then, go into user manager gui on the NT workstation, and click on
'policies', 'audit', and
check 'audit these events' and check success and failure for "Logon and
Logoff".
Then try accessing the share again from the pc.  Once you have failed, use
event viewer gui on the Nt workstation, and view the audit log, to see WHO
you tried to log in as, and what failed.  It's possible that the user you
find mentioned in this audit log is a 'local' user (see user manager again)
and that machine has a password expiration for that user, or all users in
general...

Just some things to try,
Hope they help,
Don