Making Samba printers available to All Domain Users

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 26 05:31:04 GMT 2001

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Gerald Carter wrote:

> > First, I would prefer to set up each printer once as root and then
> > have the printers available to anyone from the domain who logs in on
> > the machine.  Is there any way to do this?
>
> Printer ACLs default to "Everyone - Print"  Is this not the case for you?

Progress Report:

I've done a little more research on this issue, trolling the Microsoft
support database and deja.com.  Apparently setting up network printers on
W2K machines so that they are available to any domain user who logs in on
the machine is not at all straight forward, and requires one to invoke
bizarre and convoluted logon script commands - see, for example

   http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q189/1/05.ASP

If anyone knows a simpler way to do this, I'd love to hear about
it.  Apparently the idea that everyone who uses a particular machine might
want to have a particular printer availalble to them never occurred to
Microsoft.  Well, at least Active Directory Services are simple and
elegant.  >;-)