Making Samba printers available to Domain Users

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed Apr 25 22:28:59 GMT 2001

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Patrick Goetz wrote:

> Samba 2.2 PDC, W2K clients
>
> First, a note on the documentation:
> According to the Samba-HOWTO-Collection (most current version)
>
> ----------------------------------
> In order to currently add a new driver to you Samba host, one of two
> conditions must hold true:
>
>  *  The account used to connect to the Samba host must have
>     a uid of 0 (i.e. a root account)
>
>  *  The account used to connect to the Samba host must be a
>     member of the printer admin list.

continueing on...

   	Of course, the connected account must still possess
	access to add files to the subdirectories beneath
	[print$].

I'll make the docs clearer though :-)

> First, I would prefer to set up each printer once as root and then
> have the printers available to anyone from the domain who logs in on
> the machine.  Is there any way to do this?  As root, I tried going to
> the shared printers properties, clicking on Security, and adding
> "Domain Users", but when I try to do this, I get a message "Unable to
> lookup user names for display" and nothing gets added to "Security"
> list.  Note that all the domain users do show up individually in the
> select list which pops up when I click on Add.  Perhaps this isn't the
> thing I want anyway.

Printer ACLs default to "Everyone - Print"  Is this not the case for you?

> A second problem is that postscript print jobs seem to get corrupted
> enroute from the W2K machine to the (HP) postscript printer.  I can
> print from the W2K machine, the print job shows up at the printer, and
> then is squelched due to postscript errors.  This happens when
> printing from MS Word 2000 and when printing a test page.  The odd
> thing is that we had exactly the same problem with Samba 2.0.7 and
> ended up filtering each print job through a special filter designed to
> clean up the postscript.  If anyone can shed some light on why this
> happens, it would be greatly appreciated.

Check the first 4 lines of the PS file for PJL codes.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org
       http://www.plainjoe.org/                     jerry at plainjoe.org