Uploading printer drivers from Win2K Prof Client

Shanker Balan shanu at exocore.com
Wed Apr 25 12:46:30 GMT 2001

Hello:

I can't seem to upload the driver to my Samba 2.2 PDC (on RHL 7.0). I am
however able to install the driver locally and print from my W2K
workstation. It just gives me the error that the printer driver cannot
be installed after going through the Add Printer Wizard routine. All
stunts done while logged in as root.

My smb.conf look like this:

	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	load printers = yes
	printer admin = root
	printing = lprng
	print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s; rm -f %s
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p printer

[printers]
	path = /var/spool/samba
	guest ok = yes
	browseable = no
	writable = no
	printable = yes
	printer driver = HP DeskJet 520
	printer = lp

[print$]
	path = /usr/local/samba/printers
	guest ok = yes
	browseable = no
	printable = yes
	write list = root

I have also created the appropriate directories under print$

[root at monster] # ls -l
/usr/local/samba/printers/
total 20
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         4096 Apr 21 13:46 W32ALPHA/
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         4096 Apr 21 13:46 W32MIPS/
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         4096 Apr 21 13:46 W32PPC/
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         4096 Apr 25 17:56 W32X86/
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         4096 Apr 16 18:04 WIN40/

I ran "strings" on printing.tdb and here's a snip of the output:

---- snip ---
&STATUS/print$printer: print_ at monster - error: spool queue for 'print_'
does not exist on server monster.exocore.com
&CACHE/lp
---- snip ---

Is this remotely connected to the problem i am facing now? Where should
i create the "print_" spool?

BTW, the printer driver upload did work once but died soon after the
upload was finished saying that the printer could not be setup.

Thanx for your time!

-- Shanu

 Shanker Balan							shanu at exocore.com