Printer Driver woes :(p

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 24 22:20:44 GMT 2001

Hi -

Samba 2.2, W2K, Samba server is PDC.

I'm trying to follow the instructions in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection on
getting printer drivers set up on a Samba server using a W2K machine (with
SP1 installed).  After I get through all the steps, I get an access denied
message.  Anyone have any idea what's going wrong here?   Here are the
instructions from the HOWTO:

Once you have created the required [print$] service and associated
subdirectories, simply log onto the Samba server using a root (or printer
admin) account from a Windows NT 4.0 client. Navigate to the "Printers"
folder on the Samba server. You should see an initial listing of printers
that matches the printer shares defined on your Samba host. The initial
listing of printers in the Samba host's Printers folder will have no
printer driver assigned to them. The way assign a driver to a printer is
to view the Properties of the printer and either

Use the "New Driver..." button to install a new printer driver, or

Select a driver from the popup list of installed drivers. Initially this
list will be empty. If you wish to install printer drivers for client
operating systems other than "Windows NT x86", you will need to use the
"Sharing" tab of the printer properties dialog.

Here is the section from my smb.conf.  All of the printers show up as
shares and also show up in the printers folder.  File system mounting and
domain logins are working fine.

     [print$]
       path = /opt/samba/printers
       read only = yes
       browseable = yes
       guest ok = no

Here is what happens when I try to do this:

First, I gave root Administrative privileges on the W2K machine and
installed the appropriate driver, in this case HP8000 PS, on the W2K
machine.  Logged in as root on the W2K machine, I opened the printers
folder in the share, right clicked the printer, and clicked
properties.  Windows told me no driver was installed, had me select a
driver and then appeared to install a driver locally.  The the printer
property panel came up, I selected "Advanced" and the "Install New
Driver" button.  I go through the motions of selecting the driver, am
asked to insert the W2K CD, and then am told

   "Unable to install HP Laserjet Series 8000 PS, Windows NT 4.0 or 2000
Driver.  Access is denied."

the /opt/samba/printers directory exists and is owned/writeable by root,
and I created the subdirectories as instructed; i.e.

   poweredge:/opt/samba/printers# ls -l
   total 8
   drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr 20 16:47 W32X86
   drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr 20 16:48 WIN40
   poweredge:/opt/samba/printers#

Since this seems to be the only way of getting drivers on to the Samba
server, I'm at a loss as to what to try next.