Samba 2.2.0 and print drivers

Michael.Keightley at quadstone.com Michael.Keightley at quadstone.com
Tue Apr 24 16:21:26 GMT 2001

Hi,
I've installed Samba 2.2.0 as a test domain on one of out Solaris 7 machines.
I tried to set this up so it would store the printer driver on the Samba server.I've been having some difficulties.

I've made root a domain administrator and login as root.  It displays all
printers under the Printers share,  including an "Add Printer" icon.
When I select Properties on one of the printers and try to add a print driver,
it comes up with the error:

"Driver failed to install. Only spooler properties will be displayed"

So I select "New Driver".  When I try to install a driver,  e.g. HP LaserJet
4/4M PS,  it comes up with the error
"Unable to change to the specified driver, original settings will be restored".

Any one got any ideas?   It's not a Solaris problem,  as it also happens on
Red Hat 6.2.

Here is the print$ share setup from my smb.conf:

[print$]
  path = /home/samba_wallace/printers
  guest ok = yes
  browseable = yes
  read only = yes
  write list = root, @ntadmin

I've created the directory /home/samba_wallace/printers/W32X86

Here is the whole smb.conf:

[global]
  workgroup = DEVEL
  server string = Quadstone SAMBA Server %h
  os level = 64
  preferred master = yes
  domain master = yes
  local master = yes
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  domain logons = yes
  logon path = \\%N\profile\%U
  logon drive = Q:
  logon script = netlogon.bat
  printcap name = /usr/local/share/samba/var/printcap
  wins support = yes
  smb passwd file = /home/samba_wallace/private/smbpasswd
  nis homedir = true
  homedir map = auto_home
  domain admin group = @ntadmin
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384

[profile]
  path = /home/samba_wallace/%a/profile
  writeable = yes
  create mask = 0600
  directory mask = 0700

[printers]
  printing = BSD
  print command = /usr/ucb/lpr -r -P%p %s; rm -f %s
  lprm command = /usr/ucb/lprm -P%p %j
  lpq command = /usr/ucb/lpq -P%p
  path = /home/samba_wallace/var/spool/public
  guest ok = no
  browseable = no
  writable = no
  printable = yes

[print$]
  path = /home/samba_wallace/printers
  guest ok = yes
  browseable = yes
  read only = yes
  write list = root, mk, @ntadmin

[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = no
  writable = yes

[netlogon]
  path = /home/samba_wallace/%a/netlogon
  writeable = no
  guest ok = yes
  locking = no
  public = no

--
Michael Keightley <Michael.Keightley at quadstone.com>    Tel: +44 131 220 4491
Systems Manager,  Quadstone Limited,                   Fax: +44 131 220 4492

Please Note:

This email message and its contents are property of Quadstone. If you
received this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender
via email. Thank you.