Samba2.2 and Printing: Another Mystery

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Sat Apr 21 19:46:25 GMT 2001

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 06:02:26PM -0500, Patrick Goetz wrote:

> When I browse the Samba server from a W2K machine, I get a listing of all
> the printers in /etc/printcap (still no explanation on why the last listed
> name is used rather than the first) AND a Printers folder.  When I double
> click on the Printers folder, all the printers show up there again.
>
> I thought that the problem was that having a [printers] share and a
> [print$] share was redundant, but when I remove the [printers] share, all
> the printers disappear from both places.
>
> Is there an explanation for why the printers show up twice, once under the
> printers folder, and once at the top level?

This is just the way Windows 2000 and NT work. You'll see the
same if you browse a Win2k server.

The top level printers are the printers you can print to,
the printers inside the printers folder you can manipulate
to add drivers to (you can see the difference if you right
click on the same printer in the two places and click on
"properties").

I don't know why they did it that way, it's just part of
the "windows experience" :-) :-).

Cheers,

		Jeremy Allison,
		Samba Team.