Samba2.2 and Printing: Another Mystery

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 20 23:02:26 GMT 2001

First, the relevant smb.conf stuff:
----------------------------------
[global]
<snip>
# Printing
  printing = lprng
  print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
  printcap file = /etc/printcap

[printers]
  printable = true
  guest ok = false

[print$]
  path = /opt/samba/printers
  read only = yes
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = no
-----------------------------------

When I browse the Samba server from a W2K machine, I get a listing of all
the printers in /etc/printcap (still no explanation on why the last listed
name is used rather than the first) AND a Printers folder.  When I double
click on the Printers folder, all the printers show up there again.

I thought that the problem was that having a [printers] share and a
[print$] share was redundant, but when I remove the [printers] share, all
the printers disappear from both places.

Is there an explanation for why the printers show up twice, once under the
printers folder, and once at the top level?