printing problem with samba 2.2.0

David Levitan david at dlevitan.com
Fri Apr 20 20:16:42 GMT 2001

Hi,
I previously had samba 2.0.7 (or thereabouts) with a cups 1.1.6 printing
system running on redhat 6.2 with 2.4.3 kernel. I have two printers
connected to the cups system - and HP Deskjet 930c on a usb port and a
canon bjc-600 connected on a parallel port. Both work from the linux
computer, and did work through samba prior to my upgrade to 2.2.0.
This week I decided to upgrade to 2.2.0 in order to add domain services
to my network. The domain logons are working without a problem right
now, but I am having major problems with printing.
With the new system, I have to install drivers for w2k onto the samba
system. I first installed drivers for the canon. These come on the w2k
cd (this is an old printer), and installed without a problem. All
printing preferences and properties also work. However, if I print
anything to the printer, the print job disappears. It never shows up in
w2k print windows or in the CUPS WWW administration system.
However, the deskjet 930c has even more problems. Although I can install
the drivers, I cannot access the properties or document settings windows
in w2k. It generates with a protection fault. Any application that tries
to access the hp driver crashes. Also, when I try to pause printing, the
status bar of the print windows shows "Error processing command". This
happens on several other computers as well (running nt4 and w2k).
A copy of my smb.conf file is below:
[global]
        netbios name = server
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        server string = Samba Server

        hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.

        printcap name = lpstat
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups

        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50

        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

        socket options = TCP_NODELAY

        interfaces = eth0 eth1

        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        local master = yes
        os level = 64

        domain logons = yes

        name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast

        wins support = yes

        dns proxy = no
        unix password sync = no
        map to guest = never
        password level = 0
        null passwords = no
        dead time = 0
        debug level = 0
        logon drive = Z:
        logon home = \\server\%u
        logon path = \\server\profiles\%m\%u

        add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -g 100 -d /dev/null -s
/bin/false -M %m$
        unix password sync = true
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *successful*

        domain admin group = @wheel
        printer admin = @wheel

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories