WinNT, Win2K Profiles not working

John Humphrey txkjohn at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:39:41 GMT 2001

I've looked over the man pages and found some suggestions that I've been
unsuccessful in implementing.  The smb.conf man page states

"...it is vital...not include a reference to the homes share (i.e. setting
the parameter to \\%N\%U\profile_path will cause problems)."

because of this, I want to use \\%N\profiles\%U but I get an error message
each time an NT or Win2K client logs in. The error reads "Your roaming
profile is not available. The operating system will log you in using you
locally stored profile." When NT/Win2k users log off they get "Cannot update
roamin profile. Contact your Network Administrator." I'll attach the
relevant portions of my smb.conf file.

[global]
	security = user
        os level = 65
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        local master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        logon script = scripts\all.bat
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        domain group map = /usr/local/samba/lib/domain-group.map
        guest account = pcguest
        preserve case = yes
        short case preserve = yes
        case sensitive = no
        logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
        logon drive = i:
        logon home = \\%N\%U\profile
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No
[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /usr/local/samba/share/netlogon
        guest ok = yes
        writable = no
        share modes = no
[printer$]
        path = /usr/local/samba/printer
        comment = Win9x Printer Drivers
        public = yes
        writable = no
        browseable = yes
[hplj4000n]
        path = /usr/local/samba/spool/p1
        printer driver location = \\%L\printer$
        comment = HP 4000N in Technology Office
        printable = yes
        printer driver = HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL 6
        public = yes
[profiles]
        comment = Win32 profiles
        path = /usr/local/samba/profiles