Stupid question about update from 2.0.7 to 2.2.0

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Thu Apr 19 06:24:27 GMT 2001

> the 'make install' did exaclty what you guys said it would. Thanks for the
> advice. One more question though... How do I load the new smbd and nmbd. The
> smb startup script (/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb) still loads the old smbd file. If
> I try to copy the new smbd and nmbd to the /usr/sbin directory, they both
> fail to load properly. I'm sure I'm going about this all wrong, but I can't
> find any information on the list that explains (in newbie terms) what to do
> after the 'make install' command is finished.  I'm running RH 7.0  My 2.0.7
> smb.conf and smbpasswd files reside in /etc/samba (I guess this would be
> considered the working directory) and I have no idea where the 2.2.0 files
> are located. Is there any advice you guys could issue? Thanks.

3 Possibilities:
backup up the smb startup script, use
 rpm -e `rpm -q -f /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb`
to remove all the Redhat-stuff. Install samba 2.2 (./configure, make,
make install), restore the smb starup script and edit it to point to
the new biniaries, that should be left where "make install" has put
them to.

Use the appropriate ./configure options to put the stuff with "make
install" into the places the redhat components have been.

Wait for RedHat to publish the RH7.0-samba2.2.0-rpm

Christian