NT Remote Printer Installation doesn't work

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Apr 17 17:01:16 GMT 2001

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 02:03:55 Dariush Forouher wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Adding a new printer on Samba 2.2.0alpha3 (CVS 04/13/01)
> with the Add Printer Wizard won't work.

Sure it does. :-)  To use the APW, you have to define an
'add printer program =' hook to create the smb.conf entry.
As it stands now, I do not see any printers defined in
smb.conf so you will have to use this parameter.

> But when I try to view the current list of Printers (it
> should be empty) I get a segfault:[log gzipped as
> attachment]

ok.  Thanks. I see the problem and can fix this fairly
easily.  Will look at it later this week I hope.
The problem is in the enum_printers() reply when the server
has nothing to say.  It's a bounds checking bug.

> When i try to add a printer with rpcclient, i get the
> following: ...[log gzipped as attachment]...
> result was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

See the 'add printer program' comment above.  You can
use the addprint command with this **if** you use the
sharename of an existing printer.  See the imprints installation
for examples (use the --enable-debug to see all the smbclient
and rpcclient commands).

btw...My apolgies.  A quick look shows that the mention
of the interaction between the APW and the add printer program
parameter go left of of the Printing HOWTO.  I'll correct this
today and post a link for obtaining the latest version of
Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org