Account Database replication

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Apr 17 22:13:02 GMT 2001

Hi John,
Afraid you have run into one of the failings of samba at this point -
redundancy.  BDC capability is planned for a future release, but it's not
here now.
DEPENDING on how you are handling user authentication on your samba pdc, you
could possibly use scripts to copy your smbpasswd file from the pdc to the
other samba servers, so that when they fail to contact the pdc, they will
fallback to checking the smbpasswd file to see if they can resolve the
name/passwd pair locally.  But this would require that you also have your
/etc/passwd files in sync as well, or all of your unix servers using nis for
username lookups from the same NIS server.
This would at least allow your users to locally authenticate on the samba
server that contains the share they are trying to access, when the PDC is
unavailable....
Better heads than mine probably have more ideas on working around this...

Sorry,
Don