[printers], /etc/printcap, and network printer names

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 17 19:17:38 GMT 2001

Hi -

I'm using Samba 2.2alpha3 on a Debian linux machine.

I'm not sure if this should be regarded as a bug (perhaps it's a
configuration option), but when I go to Network Neighborhood on a client
machine and list the printers available on the Samba server, the name
listed is the LAST name given in /etc/printcap.

For example, my /etc/printcap contains the following listing:

  lw8a|biglab|lw8a-s|biglab-s:\
          :mx#0:\
          :rm=joe:rp=lw8a:lp=:\
          :ty=HP Laserjet 5M printer: Duplex mode\
          :note=Big lab:\
          :sd=/var/spool/printers/lw8a:\
          :lo=/var/spool/printers/lw8a/lock:

This printer shows up in the network neighborhood as "biglab-s".

Seems like the default behavior should be to use the first name in the
list.  Here are the relevant parts of my smb.conf file, just in case this
matters:

    [global]
      workgroup = UTMATH
      wins support = yes