/etc/passwd and smbpasswd

Christopher Tresco ctresco at economics.mit.edu
Mon Apr 16 19:58:39 GMT 2001

Is it necessary to have all users in the /etc/passwd file for them to be
able to use samba or do you just need them to be there in order to use the
smbpasswd utility?

Basically, I am trying to get everything done via ldap and I don't want a
bunch of users in /etc/passwd.  I am working through the howto for smb and
ldap and it seems awfully redundant to have users in both places.  What
would the point of having an ldap db full of samba users when they are also
listed in /etc/passwd.  May as well just use an smbpasswd file.....

Thanks,
Chris Tresco