W2K machine logon to a domain with Samba 2.2alpha3 PDC

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Apr 13 20:31:53 GMT 2001

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Nicholas Golder wrote:

> It seems that I am reaching the end of possible solutions.  I have done
> everything short of getting the latest CVS snapshot.
> Has anyone had any success in creating a FreeBSD 4.2 Samba 2.2.0alpha3 PDC?
> What are the distinguished differences between a BSD style /etc/passwd and
> the POSIX (Linux) /etc/passwd file.  The reason I ask is that when I try to
> create the machine account as described below:

> adduser -g machines -c whatever -d /dev/null -s /bin/false -n machinename$
> (minus the trailing $ of course which is later added in via vipw)
> It drops out to a usage descriptions.  I am willing to make a transition to
> Linux if necessary (since the project is young and also in favor of PAM).
> Has there been a wider amount of success in using Linux as opposed to
> FreeBSD in this specific application of Samba (as PDC)?

I can't speak to whether people enjoy wider success with Linux PDCs than with
FreeBSD PDCs; I've only ever tried to get it working with Linux.  If your
adduser script takes a different syntax than that listed above, that's not a
problem -- just remap the arguments to the syntax supported on your system.
-g for primary group, -c for comment, -d for homedir, -s for shell, -n ...
probably isn't necessary on your system.

So far as I know, none of the above is incompatible with a BSD password
file; it's only the adduser args which are incompatible.  Once you've
persuaded the BSD system to accept the usernames with extra characters in
them, I can't see any reason that BSD would be less suitable for use as a PDC
than Linux.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer