syncing print drivers between two samba servers

Rajeev Agrawala rajeeva at research.bell-labs.com
Fri Apr 13 16:55:29 GMT 2001

Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> > Rajeev Agrawala wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have samba 2_2_alpha3 running on two machines. I want to install
> > > drivers on one machine and then I want to keep the other machine in sync
> > > with the first. Can I get away with doing the following
> > >
> > > 1. sync the print$ share
> > > 2. copy sambadir/var/locks/ntdrivers.tdb to the second samba server.
> > >
> > > Should I shutdown any/both samba servers, while I am doing this? I would
> > > really like to avoid, shutting down server, if I can. Would smbd read
> > > the new tdb file on it own?
> >
> > Hmmm. Very interesting point. I think it should work, try
> > it and let the list know....
> >
> > Don't forget to make sure the permissions on the print$ share
> > files are the same.
>
> You will need to set the driver for each print on the new server.  see the
> setdriver command in rpcclient.
>
> jerry

OK, I tried the same with shutting down the destination samba server. It
worked fine. I did not need to use the setdriver command, may be
because, both the samba installation had same printers defined in LPRng.

I noticed that, every so often, the file ntdrivers.tdb keeps on getting
modified, even though I am not connected to the samba server as root,
only some clients are connected as guests. Therefore, I am not sure, if
I can copy the file both the samba servers are running. Any ideas?

Thanks,

rajeev