W2K machine logon to a domain with Samba 2.2alpha3 PDC

Elliot Mackenzie s354199 at student.uq.edu.au
Fri Apr 13 07:06:10 GMT 2001

If you created the account manually check that you did all these steps:
  adduser -g machines -c whatever -d /dev/null -s /bin/false -n machinename$

machines is the name of a system group you create that you put all the
machine users into.  machine name is tronyx$ in your case i think (the
windows machine name).

Make sure when you created the machine trust account using smbpasswd you
specified the -m option (this creates the machine trust account):

  smbpasswd -a -m tronyx$

THEN get your windows machine to join the domain (not until you create the
trust account with the last line).

For simplicity, I find it easier to use the add user script for Win2k
clients (add user script thing doesn't work for NT workstations afaik).  See
my previous post and/or the HOWTO for more info on automatic adding of
machine accounts.

Does this help?
M.