How to allow a W2K machine join a domain with Samba 2.2alpha3 PDC

Elliot Mackenzie s354199 at student.uq.edu.au
Fri Apr 13 01:45:37 GMT 2001

If you are getting an error like: "machine trust something something" - it's
been a while since I fixed this :) then make sure of a few things:
- When you restart all your daemons that there are no smbd or nmbd services
still running before you start them up again.  For some reason the init
script I was using didn't properly terminate all the services and it was
causing problems with domain logons.
- Secondly, make sure you are indeed running a good alpha 3.  I initially
had some problems with the CVS copy - nothing was reported, I just could not
log on to the domain.  I got the alpha 3 tarball off the website and it was
good.
- Remove all your samba machine trust accounts (something$) from
/etc/passwd, clear out the machine accounts from smbpasswd (I deleted the
file and started from scratch).
- Make sure your firewalling rules aren't causing any problems (If you can
normally use samba OK this shouldn't be a problem).
- NOW restart all your smbd and nmbd services.... :)
- If you are using the adduser script rather than making the machine
accounts manually, then just add root to smbpasswd and join the domain from
the w2k macchine using the root passwd.  Reboot and w2k should be able to
log onto the domain (you will need a user in smbpasswd to log on, so create
one) :)  If you aren't using the script then you have to do this manually as
per the FAQ and HOWTO.
- Still having problems try the example smb.conf given in the HOWTO and work
it out from there.

This probably isn't the "proper" way to fix this but it worked like a charm
for me, and I haven't had any problems since.