smbpasswd 2.0.7-3 matters (with smbpasswd & smb.conf...)

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Apr 12 16:49:37 GMT 2001

Hello Damien,
I think the problem MIGHT be your valid chars = ....
You have mapped the characters ABCDEFGHI to abcdefghi in your
valid chars = map...  the routine that gets the entries from
smbpasswd is running thru the 32byte password hash, and one of
the things it does is to verify that each character is a HEX
character; hex characters defined locally in the routine as
"0123456789ABCDEF"  Well, since ABCDEFGHI maps to abcdefghi,
when it checks to see if a is a valid 'hexchar' it doesn't match
(it's expecting A, not a) so you get the Malformed message...
At least I think this is what's happening.
Try removing the entries:

65:97 66:98 67:99 68:100 69:101 70:102 71:103 72:104 73:105 74:106

from your valid chars  line in smb.conf and see if you don't get further...
Hope this helps,
Don