NT & Roaming Profiles / Home Directory.

Dan Horth d.horth at tzlimited.com
Tue Apr 10 22:29:47 GMT 2001

Hi - I've been trying to set up a server to act as a roaming profiles
/ file server for a bunch of NT 4.0 machines and some 98 machines,
and am having two issues, one I'm reasonably sure is an NT
configuration issue and one is a strange login script / SAMBA problem:

1) When the NT client logs in the roaming profiles stuff gets copied
across fine, and profile changes are stored on the server as
expected. But for some reason the user's home directory ends up
mounted on Z: as well as P:

I can't disconnect the Z: drive as I get told there are open files on
the drive.

Windows 98 clients seem to be mounting, using and unmounting (or
hiding?) the netlogon directory fine.

2) We currently have a netware server servicing the workstations, and
I am using one of the NT 4 workstations to test the SAMBA server
before switching them all over. I removed the netware login from the
workstation network protocols control panel and set it to log in
using windows networking. I got domain authentication working fine,
except I've managed to lose the admin user on the workstation. I
realise this is probably an NT issue, but was wondering if there is a
way to get the SAMBA server to tell the workstation that my admin
user has administrator rights on the workstation - or is this
something I need to set up on the workstation before removing the
novell client? Is there any way (other than a complete reinstall) to
get administrator rights back on the workstation?

Any advice / pointers on these two issues would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Dan.

relevant??? parts of the smb.conf file look like this:

[global]
	logon home = \\%L\%U\.hide\.profile
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U_NT_profile
	logon script = %U.bat
	domain user map = /etc/samba/domainuser.map

[homes]
      comment = Home Directories
      browseable = no
      read only = no
      preserve case = yes
      short preserve case = yes
      create mode = 0700

[profiles]
         comment = Roving Profiles Share
         path = /shared/pcserver/Profiles
         readonly = false
         create mask = 0600
         directory mask = 0700
         browseable = false
         guest ok = false
         writable = true

[netlogon]
         path = /shared/netlogon
         comment = Netlogon share
         root preexec = /shared/netlogon/genlogon.pl %U %G %L %m
         root postexec = /shared/netlogon/dellogon.pl %U %G %L %m
         writeable = no
         guest ok = no
         browseable = no

the %U.bat login script that gets generated for a user looks like this:

@echo off
NET TIME \\server /SET /YES
NET USE N: \\server\pcstuff
NET USE P: \\server\dan
NET USE K: \\server\data
NET USE X: \\server\transfer

the domainuser.map file looks like this:

admin = Administrator
dan = Administrator