Problems installing a standalone MS Exchange Server in a Samb a 2.0.7 Domain

McEldowney, Michael MMcEldowney at deltaregional.com
Tue Apr 10 13:29:06 GMT 2001

I'm assuming that your using the Samba 2.0.7 box as your "PDC" for the
domain.  If so, you won't be able to get Exchange to work.  It requires
PDC services that 2.0.7 doesn't provide.  You have 3 options:

1. Use 2.2.0-alpha3 if you dare run it in a production environment (not
recommended, but you could wait for the 2.2 release)

2. I haven't tried this myself, but I've always thought it should work:
Set up the NT server that your installing Exchange on as it's own PDC in
it's own domain.  Downside -> User and password maintenance will be a
NIGHTMARE.

3. Dump Exchange and use something more stable that runs on Linux. (My
personal preference)

Hope that helps,

Mike McEldowney
Information Systems Director