Using 2.0.7 vs. 2.2.0-alpha3

Greg J. Zartman greg at kwikfind.com
Mon Apr 9 15:13:58 GMT 2001

Dan,

Have a look at this article
(http://www.programmers.net/mirrors/lg/issue29/coldiron.html ).  This is
what convinced me to switch me Win2000 server to Samba (that and the fact
that I was always rebooting and/or restarting services on the Win2000
machine).

In my opinion, Samba 2.2 is alpha in name only.  I'm currently running it on
Mandrake Linux 7.2 on a mixed windows client network (80% win2000, 10% Win
NT 4.0, 10% Win 98).  I'm being completely honest in saying that I haven't
had a problem one with the software, other than mistakes I made in
configuring the system.  In fact, my new Linux server has been up and
running, without a reboot, for almost two months now.

One thing that I'm finding in using Samba is that you have to be a little
creative in setting up a Windows network.  For the most part, I'm using a
pretty basic configuration.  I haven't spend the time to learn how to
implement some of the more "advanced" domain functionality currently being
worked on in Samba.  One example would be the ability to modify
directory/file security settings using the "point and click" method (i.e.,
right click on a directory and modify the groups and/or users that have
access rights).  At some point I'll get this working, but for the time
being, I simply goto the Linux box and modify security settings from there.

One thing to be aware of with Samba is that you shouldn't expect to get all
of the "bells and whistles" that a Windows setup will offer (especially
Win2000).  Win 2000 offers alot in the way of utilities through MMC for
administering just about everything on your network (some of which can be a
little dangerous if you're not careful.  Alot of this stuff is "neat" and I
thought I would it going to Samba, but I haven't.  Samba is a very stable,
fast, and easy to maintain setup.   I couldn't be more pleased with my
decision to switch.

If you do decide to switch, drop me an email.  I may be able to offer some
advice that could speed your setup time.  Good luck.

Greg