PAM on Solaris experiences The next steps?

Maurice Hoeneveld M.hoeneveld at hes-rdam.nl
Mon Apr 9 09:33:04 GMT 2001

Hello all,

After some hints and wise words from Steve Langasek I started to experiment
this morning with my ProFTP on Solaris using PAM to lookup the
username/password on the NT domain

At least I don't have the errors from before anymore but I still can't get in.
I do use the pam.conf as listed below and my pam_smb.conf holds the next lines
HESDOMNT
HESNT01
SMSNT01

When I start ProFTP in debugmode I see the message;

-- received: USER testuser
-- no supplemental groups found for user 'testuser'
-- received: PASS (hidden)
-- no supplemental groups found for user 'testuser'
-- PAM(testuser): No account present for user.
-- USER testuser (Login failed): No such user found.

It looks to me that PAM doesn't check the NT domain for validation.
When I change pam.conf to use the local shadow database and I create a unix
user everything works well.

Any help or hint is welcome again.

A part of my pam.conf;

#ident  "@(#)pam.conf 1.19     95/11/30 SMI"
#
# PAM configuration
#
# Authentication management
#
# for ProFTPd
ftp     auth    required        /usr/lib/security/pam_smb_auth.so.1 nolocal
debug
ftp     session required        /usr/lib/security/pam_smb_auth.so.1 nolocal
debug

At 09:02 06-04-2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I hope there is a wise guy out there who can hep us out.
>Im busy with the installation of a Solaris 7 (intel) machine which is
>memeber of a NT domain and also can be used from outside the campus
>using ftp (ProFTP)
>
>One of my questions is
>Has anyone experiences with running PAM on Solaris for the NT user validation
>
>The samba part I installed runs fine. Im able to share 6000 home
>directories where the user is verified against the NT domain.
>I also installed ProFTP which I want to use with the pam_smb_auth
>module (which I downloaded from samba.org. and compiled it with the -lpam
>linker option) and configured pam.conf to
>use pam_smb_auth.so.1 as module for ftp authentication.
>
>The problem is a user which is * in /etc/passwd.
>I can see (when I start Proftp in debug mode) that Pam is invoked to
>verify the username but the user can not be found.
>Logging from ProFTP as follows;
>
>-- received: USER testuser
>-- no supplemental groups found for user 'testuser'
>-- received: PASS (hidden)
>-- no supplemental groups found for user 'testuser'
>-- PAM(testuser): Symbol not found
>-- USER testuser (Login failed): No such user found.
>
>When I check de system messages I see the following;
>
>-- proftpd[3946]: load_modules: pam_sm_acct_mgmt() missing
>
>Can anybody give me a hint.
>It looks like I need some extra options for compiling the pam_auth
>module. But probably it is an other problem.
>
>Any help is appreciated
>Thanks for your time
>

>Maurice Hoeneveld
>Technical System Engineer