Trouble with my Hood

Heath Goebel Heath.Goebel at trw.com
Fri Apr 6 14:46:49 GMT 2001

I hope this is the correct mailing list. If not, I'm sure that someone
will let me know.

I'm having trouble getting all of my Samba servers into my Network
Neighborhood.

I have Samba 2.0.7 running on two Sun servers and they both appear in
the Network Neighborhood and are accessable without any problems. I have
Samba 2.0.7 running on one Silicon Graphics server. When I first
installed it, I was able to get it added to the Network Neighborhood.
But, it subsequently fell out and no longer appears in the Network
Neighborhood although it is accessable using Find Computer. I'm not sure
why. The best clue is the following error message in my log.nmb:

nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c(109):
register_name_response: server at IP 129.193.133.5 reject our name
registration of STING<00> with error code 6.

129.193.133.5 (eagle) is the NT PDC
STING is the Silicon Graphics server

I've tried deleting sting from the NT domain and re-adding it
(/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -j HSV -r eagle) to no avail.

My smb.conf looks like this...

[global]
    workgroup = HSV
    server string = Samba %v on (%h)
    encrypt passwords = yes
    security = domain
    password server = EAGLE SIATA
    wins server = 129.193.133.5
    log file = /usr/local/samba/log/samba.log.%m
[homes]
    browsable = no
    writable = yes
[apps-sgi]
    path = /apps/sgi
    writable = yes
.
.
.

Any help is appreciated. Like, what is error code 6?

Thanks, Heath