(Was Caution Stoopid Newbie) - A better (Longer) explanation

McEldowney, Michael MMcEldowney at deltaregional.com
Fri Apr 6 13:59:10 GMT 2001

Jet,

Please continue to post.  Don't let an occasional flare up discourage
you.  Discussion, even heated, is a good thing.  Samba, Linux, and the
Human Race would all be far behind in evolution without it.

I had a similar problem when I first set up my "net at home.com".  I was
able to track it down to name resolution.  Be sure to have WINS or DNS
configured correctly.  WINS is easiest to setup and is best for small
networks (according to Micro$oft.)  Make sure your Win98 box is
configured to use your Samba box for WINS or DNS.  At home I use DHCP to
set up my clients and WINS for name rez.

Name resolution is critical.  If it doesn't work properly, you're domain
won't either.

Hope that helps,

Thanks,
Mike McEldowney