Caution Stoopid Newbie

Greg J. Zartman greg at kwikfind.com
Thu Apr 5 19:15:39 GMT 2001

I'm assuming that "the problem" you are referring to is using any version of
Samba greater than V2.0.7?

I agree that downtime is not a good thing, but that doesn't mean that you
can't accept a certain amount of risk in implementing new code, hardware, or
anything else.  It depends on the situation.  My comment about being in a
non-critical environment referred to situation that this person currently is
in.  I believe he is trying to set this thing up at home with a handful of
PCs.  This is a completely different situation than if he were considering
implementing it on a corporate environment with several hundred clients.
Are both setups critical??  Apples and Oranges; Of course they aren't.  If
everyone took the all systems are critical approach, the Linux/Unix
community would be light years behind where it is now.

I don't think twice about trying new technology on select users in my
office.  Worse case, they can always goto the main server.  This may be
considered setting up a test environment, but I consider trying out a new
"bell or whistle" on a non-critical environment.  Regular users, performing
everyday activities, are much more likely to run across a problem with a new
setup than I would be working with it at home or something like that.

My two cents.

Greg