(Was Caution Stoopid Newbie) - A better (Longer) explanation

Mark Haney mhaney at info4cars.com
Thu Apr 5 13:08:32 GMT 2001

Okay, now we are getting somewhere.  Here's the best explanation that I can
come up with not knowing the domain names, etc.  The first thing I notice is
you changed the domain of the NT machine.  Was it the _domain_ name or the
_machine_ name?

Second, if it is the _domain_ name, DON'T change it.  That really really
will screw up the registry of the PDC.  I have seen the very problem before.
Yes, the domain name was in use, but I bet if you change it in samba to
something and try the original NT domain name back on the NT box, it will
still probably complain about the name being in use.  I have seen it both
ways, but my advice is  to not change the NT  domain name at all.  It's okay
to just shut that machine down, but don't change the name and don't try to
make it a member server of another domain without either re-installing NT
(yeah I know) or using something like UPromote to make the necessary reg
changes.

And, while I have never had to do this before, I am thinking you will need
to remove the samba box from the original domain before you make it a PDC.
I don't have any experience with that scenario, so I don't know if that
really applies.  It seems to me that even though the samba box is acting
like a PDC, that it's still looking to the NT PDC for authentication.

I have seen this problem in similar situations in NT with member servers of
one domain being made a PDC in another domain using UPromote you still have
to remove it from the domain before promoting it. As far as i can tell it's
some sort of bizarre registry (I would call it a bug, but maybe it's a
feature?) issue.

Also, do you still have _any_ references to the original NT PDC still in
your smb.conf?  Such as WINS, etc?  I hope this helps and doesn't lead to
more flames.  :)