Computer account names on BSDI BSD/OS 4.2

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Thu Apr 5 09:33:12 GMT 2001

  Hi there.

  It seems that for Samba to act as a PDC it must have an account for
every computer in the system password file (normally /etc/passwd),
correct me if I'm wrong.
  The problem is, a system we need it installed on to act as a PDC is
a BSDi BSD/OS 4.2 system, and it doesn't seem to accept the dollar
sign ('$') (which is required to distinguish computer accounts,
correct me if I'm wrong) as a part of a username in /etc/passwd.

  It's Samba 2.2.0-alpha1 I'm talking about.

  Any idea what could solve the problem? Some workaround?

--

  ---*---

  Tom Alsberg
	Hebrew University of Jerusalem,
	institute of Computer Science and Engineering -
		System Group / Vision Lab