Caution Stoopid Newbie

McEldowney, Michael MMcEldowney at deltaregional.com
Wed Apr 4 15:40:55 GMT 2001

Obviously you think you know it all.

> You and most everyone else out there I am sure misunderstood, what to
> everyone here is obvious.  When I mean 'authentication' I
> mean act in a DC
> way to do domain authentication.  YOur accusation that I am
> wrong in this is
> unfounded.  2.0.6 cannot stably be a PDC in an NT domain.  2.0.6 can
> certianly use an NT domain controllers to authenticate.

Your definition/opinion of an NT Domain seems to insist that you must
have a true NT OS operating somewhere on the network.  That isn't
correct.  I run an "NT Domain" at home and at work on Samba alone.  No
NT required.  And it's more stable than you are.

> And as any idiot knows running 'alpha code' in a production
> environment is
> not the greatest thing in the world to do, but it works well
> in this case
> and there was _no mention whatsoever_ that this was in a production
> environment, so I stand by my previous statement.

So you make the assumption that JSW was looking for something to test?
There was "_no mention whatsoever_" that he wanted to be a beta tester
either.  In fact, he stated in his "ps" that he's not ready yet to
download and compile.  Read the entire post before you reply to it.

> And a true NT domain controller isn't needed for samba to
> authenticate is
> true as well.  But he states he wantsd to 'log in' to the
> samba box.  Unless
> you can read his mind, my first thought was to simply telnet
> to it if he
> needed access to it other than shares.

Why would a user that wanted to know how to telnet into a box post a
question on the Samba list?  Obviously he wants to logon to the Samba
services.  Duh.

> And your statement that samba is not peer-to-peer is very
> obviously wrong,
> unless you are doing authentication from some central
> mechanism such as NIS
> or an NT domain, you are running a peer-to-peer network.

No, your very wrong.  Samba _IS_ the central authentication mechanism,
hence it's not peer-to-peer.  You need to grab a Webster's and look up
the definition of a peer-to-peer network.

>  YOu
> can run samba
> outside of an NT doamin and have the client auth to it just
> fine. I do it at
> home.

Which is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

>So get your facts straight before you flame anyone.

As I said before, you shouldn't post bad information.  If you do your
asking for flames.