Caution Stoopid Newbie

Mark Haney mhaney at info4cars.com
Wed Apr 4 15:01:05 GMT 2001

And I do not like being told I am posting bad info by someone who barely
knows any anything like what I know.

You and most everyone else out there I am sure misunderstood, what to
everyone here is obvious.  When I mean 'authentication' I mean act in a DC
way to do domain authentication.  YOur accusation that I am wrong in this is
unfounded.  2.0.6 cannot stably be a PDC in an NT domain.  2.0.6 can
certianly use an NT domain controllers to authenticate.

And as any idiot knows running 'alpha code' in a production environment is
not the greatest thing in the world to do, but it works well in this case
and there was _no mention whatsoever_ that this was in a production
environment, so I stand by my previous statement.

And a true NT domain controller isn't needed for samba to authenticate is
true as well.  But he states he wantsd to 'log in' to the samba box.  Unless
you can read his mind, my first thought was to simply telnet to it if he
needed access to it other than shares.

And your statement that samba is not peer-to-peer is very obviously wrong,
unless you are doing authentication from some central mechanism such as NIS
or an NT domain, you are running a peer-to-peer network.  YOu can run samba
outside of an NT doamin and have the client auth to it just fine. I do it at
home.  So get your facts straight before you flame anyone.