Caution Stoopid Newbie

Mark Haney mhaney at info4cars.com
Wed Apr 4 11:15:26 GMT 2001

What do you mean by 'log in' to the samba box?  Do you mean authenticate to
it?  Or are you just trying to access the entire box itself and not just the
shares?  If you are doing authentication, 2.0.6 won't cut it.  YOu'll need
the 2.2.0-alpha3 code (the latest and greatest) in order to make samba act
as a PDC.

2.0.6 supports authenticating of almost ANY (win2k excluded I believe)
version of windows as long as there is an NT Domain controller available to
handle the auth request from the samba box.  Of course it needs to be part
of an NT domain in order to do that, which is in the docs.  Without an NT
domain, it's just like any other peer-to-peer network in so much as you have
to add each user to the samba box that needs access to it.  Unless you use
NIS or another central authenticating mechanism.  Let me know if this helps
or not.