PAM_SMB_AUTH and Solaris problem

Maurice Hoeneveld M.hoeneveld at hes-rdam.nl
Tue Apr 3 14:41:10 GMT 2001

Hello all,

I hope there is a wise guy out there who can hep us out.
Im busy with the installation of a Solaris 7 (intel) machine which is
memeber of a NT domain and also can be used from outside the campus
using ftp (ProFTP)

The samba part I installed runs fine. Im able to share 6000 home
directories where the user is verified against the NT domain.
I also installed ProFTP which I want to use with the pam_smb_auth
module (which I downloaded from samba.org.) and configured pam.conf to
use pam_smb_auth.so.1 as module for ftp authentication.

The problem is a user which is * in /etc/passwd.
I can see (when I start Proftp in debug mode) that Pam is invoked to
verify the username but the user can not be found.
Logging from ProFTP as follows;

-- received: USER testuser
-- no supplemental groups found for user 'testuser'
-- received: PASS (hidden)
-- no supplemental groups found for user 'testuser'
-- PAM(testuser): Symbol not found
-- USER testuser (Login failed): No such user found.

When I check de system messages I see the following;

-- proftpd[3946]: load_modules: pam_sm_acct_mgmt() missing

Can anybody give me a hint.
It looks like I need some extra options for compiling the pam_auth
module. But probably it is an other problem.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks for your time

Maurice Hoeneveld
Technical System Engineer