Newbie question... Samba+NT PDC Howto ??

David Atkinson datk at albury.net.au
Wed Sep 20 03:32:55 GMT 2000

1. There are two option you need, both in the [global] section of smb.conf

  security = domain
  password server = <name of primary domain controler>

2. Make sure you have a machine account for the samba server in the domain
controler.

3. Before you restart samba after entering the changes run :

smbpasswd -j <NT domain name>

4. This will setup the machine account so it is ready to be used. DON'T run
this command multiple times as it prevents samba from participating in the
domain if it is run multiple times. If you do you need to remove the machine
account from the domain server the go back to step 2.

5. Restart samba

hope this helps

Cheers Dave

"I shall explain this by waving my hands about in an appropriate manner."
                                     --Cambridge University Math Dept.