Samba 2.0.7 + FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE + W2k sp1

Patrick Bihan-Faou patrick at mindstep.com
Fri Sep 29 17:45:48 GMT 2000

Hi,

From: "Evpaty" <valentin at russia.crosswinds.net>
> su-2.04# ifconfig
> rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 10.0.1.102 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.1.255
>         inet6 fe80::250:baff:fed1:de26%rl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>         ether 00:50:ba:d1:de:26
>         media: autoselect (none) status: active
>         supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
10baseT/UT
> P <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP 100baseTX <hw-loopback>

[...]

> One of them looks at the coaxial subnet, one - at 100Mbit UTP5
> On the 100Mbit side of the router there is a Windows 2000 Box with 3Com
905B card. I have a problem with Samba from this box. Any operation

> like copying file to or from Samba share is done _extremely_ slow, 60-80
kb per second. This is not a network problem - ftp is 10 times

Try disabling the autodetection of the link speed on the rl0 card. To do so
either use:

# ifconfig rl0 media 10baseT/UTP

or

# ifconfig rl0 media 100baseTX

depending on the actual speed of the network connected to it (I am guessing
it is 10 Base T). The rl0 driver has a lot of problems detecting the 10 base
T networks, and although you have connectivity and everything appears to be
working fine, the performance are really bad until you explicitely tell it
to use 10 base T.

The "media: autoselect (none) status: active" in ifconfig is a good
indication of that problem.

Good luck,

Patrick.