TNG-stable

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Fri Sep 29 17:00:27 GMT 2000

Martin Kuhne wrote:

> This is a myth. See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/kerbtech.asp
> (including the PAC specs)

I'm sorry Martin, it is not a myth. The full PAC interoperability
information is only available via clicking on a *very* obnoxious
"I agree to not implement this" click through license.

Microsoft have sent legal letters to the slashdot site (run by my employer,
VA Linux Systems) demaning they remove postings giving out this information
without the license. This remains unresolved.

Currently the PAC format is considered a "trade secret" under
US law and this is in a legal limbo (not tested in court).

I can get full details from Ted Tso (one of the MIT Kerberos
developers now working at VA Linux) and get a more official
post if you require.

But this interoperability issue is *very* alive and is currently
being fought tooth and nail by Microsoft (in the USA at least).

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.