Question of printing from Linux to an NT share

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Thu Sep 28 04:38:33 GMT 2000

First, thanks to all who helped me through problems establishing a
machine account for the Samba server on the NT PDC -- works now!

In our public access student labs we have put in place a printing
chargeback to both get control of paper and toner costs and discourage
heavy abusers.  Just so you know were not meanies, after collecting
some of our own stats and also querying like colleges doing the same
thing, we've come up with a high enough free allottment that most
students will never cross into the nickel a page zone.

Anyway, that leads me to a different problem I'm hoping Samba can help
me solve.  Computer Science is finally making more use of Linux than NT
in their programming classes.  The machines are all dual-boot because
the rest of the time the labs are general purpose labs.  The chargeback
mechanism is an NT utility called Pcounter that tracks printer use and
counts pages (actually queries the printer for page counts -- which
means it's pretty acurate).  But how do I get the Linux machines to
print through that mechanism?  I've looked at both smbspool and
smbclient as options, but in order to use either tool I need access to
the plaintext version of the users password.  I could keep a file of
plaintext passwords, but even with root protection, that's a VERY bad
practice.  What would be perfect is to have the user log into the NT
network when he logs into Linux just as he/she would do when logging
into an NT.  Are there any packages that do that?  Or does anybody have
other suuggestions?  I'm rather new at getting things to move from
Linux/Unix to NT so I'm stumped?

Thanks,
Rob

       _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _
     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  UNIX and Networks Manager
  Linfield College, McMinnville OR
  (503) 434-2558 <rtanner at linfield.edu>