Weird Log entries

James W. Beauchamp jbeauchamp at gesinc.com
Wed Sep 27 23:07:36 GMT 2000

Hi all:
I have RH Linux 6.2 running samba 2.0.7 and acting as a domain controller
for winnt and MS95/98 users (10 total).

I have noticed that when my console sits inactive at the login prompt for
awhile (I don't know how long - I haven't tried to time it) I get the
following messages sort of written over top of the login prompt:

smb_get_length: recv error=5
smb_request: result -5, setting invalid
smb_retry: new PID=process number here, generation=5

In trying to find out what this is I have the following things repeated in
my log.smb and log.nmb

Gethostbyaddr failed for x.x.x.x (this repeats for all ip's assigned)

in log.nmb
process_logon_packet: Logon from x.x.x.x code=0x7
where x.x.x.x is an NT4 workstation, but it appears for all ip's.

If it helps, all ip's are assigned by DHCP

In spite of this, all seems to work o.k.  Any ideas what this could be?  I
know it can't be right, but I am stumped.

TIA

James

"If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes"