REALLY NEED SOME QUICK HELP! -PLEASE!!

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Wed Sep 27 16:41:11 GMT 2000

Rafa³ Szcze¶niak wrote:

> Does your /bin/passwd has any builtin filter checking
> password "quality" ?
>
> Also, sample password chat debug log could be helpful...
>
> Rafa³
>
> Adam.Propeck at fallon.com
> Wys³ane przez: samba-ntdom-admin at us4.samba.org
> 00-09-27 08:29
>

>         Do:     samba-ntdom at us4.samba.org, samba-ntdom-admin at us4.samba.org
>         DW:
>         Temat:  REALLY NEED SOME QUICK HELP! -PLEASE!!
>
> I submitted this problem before but haven't received a response.  There
> were promises made as to performance of the SAMBA server, and my team is
> hard pressed to meet our deadlines.  I really need some help here guys
> (and
> gals).  Please let me know ASAP as I am currently working on our 2
> production servers now and can't wait!  THANKS in advance, ADAM PROPECK
> I am running SAMBA 2.0.7 on a Solaris 2.7 Box, and want to continue to
> have
> an NT4 PDC.  I am having difficulty with password sync from NT to the
> Solaris side of things.  I would like to have users on Win98/NT
> workstations be able to change their passwords on the NT side through
> CTRL-ALT-DEL, Change Password, and then get SAMBA and our /etc/passwd to
> sync to the new password.  How can I go about doing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam Propeck
> Systems Administrator-Fallon
> adam.propeck at fallon.com
> 612-282-3458

>    Below is an edited copy of my conf file.
>
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from host.com (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
> # Date: 2000/09/26 11:59:36
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>       workgroup = FM
>       netbios name = FMSAMBA
>       server string = SAMBA SERVER
>       security = DOMAIN
>       encrypt passwords = Yes
>       update encrypted = Yes
>       min password length = 4
>       password server = NTPDC            <---- Actual name of PDC is here
>       passwd program = /bin/passwd %u
>       passwd chat debug = Yes
>       username map = /etc/user.map
>       unix password sync = Yes
>       debug hires timestamp = Yes
>       debug pid = Yes
>       debug uid = Yes
>       logon home =
>       os level = 0
>       local master = No
>       wins server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>       hide files = /Network Trash
> Folder/TheFindByContentFolder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/
>
> [Creative]
>       path = /data/fmsamba/
>
> [homes]
>       comment = Home Directory
>       path = /data/homes/%u
>       writeable = Yes
>       browseable = No

Men you can't use Password sync with encrypted passwords cause NT will
not send the password in clear but only a one way encoded equivalent
hash.
So samba can't update passwd because there's not any way to convert a
NTLM hash into a crypt or MD5 entry!!
The only way is to set a windows regietry(check archives for it) to set
clear/text passwords, but this will not work in a domain!

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451