REALLY NEED SOME QUICK HELP! -PLEASE!!

Scott Merrill smerrill at svfc.org
Wed Sep 27 14:33:42 GMT 2000

I've never used solaris, so I don't know what happens when you execute
/bin/passwd on that platform.

In order to sync the smbpasswd and the /etc/passwd you need to use the
"passwd chat" parameter in your smb.conf.  This tells samba how to talk to
the passwd program to change the password for the user.  You supply the text
that Samba should watch for, and how it should answer.

On my Red Hat 6.2 server, my entry looks like this:
---begin---
# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
# update the Linux sytsem password also.
# NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
#        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
  unix password sync = Yes
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
*passwd
:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
---end---

So the "passwd chat" means 'watch for any string containing "New", "UNIX"
and "password" with anything in between those words, and supply the user's
new password when you see it, followed by a newline.  Then watch for the
next set of words and re-supply the password and new line again.  Finally,
make sure it all worked properly by watching for that final string."

You'll need to examine what the prompts are for Solaris' passwd program and
modify the "passwd chat" appropriately.