TNG / Development / Helping Out

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed Sep 27 05:42:21 GMT 2000

Scott Merrill wrote:

> I'd love to help.  But there seems to be a real lack of
> definition of exactly how I, a non-programmer, can lend
> a hand.  The Samba web pages don't indicate any sort
> of defined project manager, and the samba-docs archives
> I've skimmed don't say much in the way of "We need this,
> specifically, and that, specifically".

If you will corrdinate with me, I'll put you to work :-)
Just tell me what you are interested in...

> *IS* there a defined project manager?  Someone to act
> as full-time liason between the core developers and
> the population at large?  Someone to regularly supply
> updates to the web pages about progress, and current needs?

No. and I will apologize for this.  No excuses.  We all
work in a somewhat isolated workspace.  Jeremy is in charge
of being the release manage for 2.2.  Andrew in in charge of
HEAD.  We corrdinate together which can make it make to pinpoint
a set of things that need to be outside of our head.

Talk to me (anyone) and we'll get something going.  Coding,
documenting, testing, etc....

> I can't code a lick.  Should I be put off by the
> ubiquitous "Show me the code or go away?"  Should I
> really go away?  =)  I'm ready and willing to
> lend a hand.  I just need to know who to approach.

code == documentation == testing feedback == useful input :-)

No, don't go away.  If you are interested in helping, let
me know.

 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org
       http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~cartegw